Kick-off Week 2019 Inspire Activity: Illuminating Your Sun!

One of the most defining things you will do this year is to read the following short article:


Here is the link to the Vanguard Sun, which includes the Core and Crust idea combined with the four lenses we use to look at the world and organize all the things we want to learn and become:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzFTE1OI37bbRWFxVUNYR1RYQWViRmUtemRjZ29wZXlnQ1dF/view?usp=sharing


Awesome blank templates generated at the speed of light by our very own Marni Hall!!
(1) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzFTE1OI37bbaEJpeVNOTzZUWGVXRm54d3BRa2FENG1adEJ3
(2) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzFTE1OI37bbeE02NUJiejlnVjR5cU1KazNpLWdkU0ppOTln
(3) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzFTE1OI37bbWnZRc0Y3TXhvbWF6T2FuejdRQ3JPYTZvMWY0

(Don't you just love my expression in this next video??  Lol! I could have switched it but where is the fun in that?)




 

Just getting started!
Remember, the core is who you are.  The rays are what you do.  And they all fit together! Our core gives fuel to our actions for good or ill.

Fill in at least 15 things that you are already good at or things that you want to develop and where.(Please refer back to the original frequently for ideas and context!)  Some things can go in more than one place.  For instance, you might want to speak more clearly so that you can be more expressive as an artist on the stage so elocution development might fall in a different crust area for you, along with how you go about doing it.  The beautiful thing about it is that it is all connected into one vibrant, living whole that will allow the light within you to shine out and enliven all your talents! Have fun with this!

I also like to leave blank spaces near items so that I can add a book or activity I would like to learn from to help strengthen that skill.  This way, if I come across book in passing and don't have time to study them then, I can have them to refer to later and decide how they weigh in on the big picture.
(MENTORS: doing this for your group is an effective way to help you remember to make connections and try and include all the needs of your group!)



**Another activity that I liked to do to think about things I could use to strengthen my core:
Activity to Identify Christlike Attributes
If you don't want to use the scriptures there, feel free to use your own!  The questions are good, though, and can help anyone of any walk of life.  I just picked one or two that stood out to me that I want to work on.  However!! Take a moment to sit and look at the things you are doing right!  You are!  You are a good trying person who is unleashing more and more power by submitting to the humility it takes to identify where you can do better.  YAY!!!
Now you can use your personal core study time to find scriptures that help you better understand the attributes you want to develop and how you can develop them.  I put these in the core part in the very center to remind me to look for connections in my learning.

Comments

  1. Another idea I got while reading through this. We know it's important to be self-reliant. I read this quote recently by President Kimball:
    "The responsibility for each person’s social, emotional, spiritual, physical, or economic well-being rests first upon himself, second upon his family, and third upon the Church if he is a faithful member thereof.
    No true Latter-day Saint, while physically or emotionally able, will voluntarily shift the burden of his own or his family’s well-being to someone else. So long as he can, under the inspiration of the Lord and with his own labors, he will supply himself and his family with the spiritual and temporal necessities of life."
    It would be interesting to use the sun that way, looking at the areas he listed or others like mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual to see where we feel we are good or where we need to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this idea. I think I'm going to start with the basic core/crust sun though and then maybe experiment with it on the level President Kimball set in that quote. I am excited to do all of these exercises tomorrow with my kids. I think it might help some of my older children who are struggling to find a direction to their learning gain some insight into how they can accomplish this. Thank you Mary and Marni! :)

      Delete
  2. Such a great article! This initiated a great family discussion! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That is exactly the best thing to happen from this group :D. We are glad you are with us!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

March 5, 2020: Week 4 Imaginative Arts

March 19, 2020: Week 2 Geo-Conquest